Saturday, March 7, 2009

What else can you do with 7 itty-bitty men?

In any hint of spring, I am ready to go outside and today was no exception. Grabbed a piece of paper to make the letter that I have been wanting to write for about three months to my friend Viki in Slovakia (her grandma says that mail like that is old magic) and sat outside overlooking melting snow and grass (grass that when stepped on is very sinkable, which I learned later.) At some point, I looked at the quality of light (which was absolutely gorgeous) and thought: why am I not having a photo shoot right now? So I took a shower, put on some clothes, grabbed an ironing board and a camera and started to shoot my concept: Cinderella by day and Cinderella by night. With a little lipstick and swapping her kerchief for a tiara, she sets off in the woods to find her prince with nothing else to wear but the clothes she has on.





I had the song, Fairytale, by Sara Bareilles stuck in my head the entire time.
"Cinderella's on her bedroom floor
She's got a crush on the guy at the liquor store
Cause Mr. Charming don't come home anymore
And she forgets why she came here
Sleeping Beauty's in a foul mood
For shame she says
None for you dear prince, I'm tired today
I'd rather sleep my whole life away than have you keep me from dreaming
'Cause I don't care for your fairytales
You're so worried about the maiden though you know
She's only waiting on the next best thing
Snow White is doing dishes again cause
What else can you do
With seven itty-bitty men?
Sends them to bed and calls up a friend
Says will you meet me at midnight?
The tall blonde lets out a cry of despair says
Would have cut it myself if I knew men could climb hair
I'll have to find another tower somewhere and keep away from the windows
Once upon a time in a faraway kingdom
Man made up a story said that I should believe him
Go and tell your white knight that he's handsome in hindsight
But I don't want the next best thing
So I sing and hold my head down and I break these walls round me
Can't take no more of your fairytale love"

No comments: